Export British
Citizenship Advice


A British Citizen has the right of abode to live in the UK permanently without any immigration restriction. So how does one obtain british citizenship?

You may be eligible to naturalise as a British Citizen if you have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK or Permanent Residence.

To naturalise as a British Citizen, the following requirements have to be satisfied:

  • Age 18 or over;
  • Be of sound mind & good character;
  • Intend to continue to living in the UK;
  • Have sufficient knowledge of the English Language/Welsh
  • Have sufficient knowledge of Life in the UK;
  • Meet the residential qualifying period

There are a number of different categories to register as a British Citizen. These rules are often complex and cover those who are under 18 years old, if you have another form of British Nationality or stateless.

Once you have naturalised or registered as a British Citizen you can then apply for a British passport.

You can also apply for a British Passport if you automatically require British Citizenship.

It is advisable for you to seek expert legal assistance as British Nationality Law can be complex.


‌‌In most circumstances, applications for a Tier 4 Visa Extension in the UK should only be made using the online application.

Application Fee: 

  • £439 – Standard applications: Online applications/ supporting documents sent by post. Typically, decisions on applications are made within 6 – 8 weeks.
  • £916 Priority Applications: Appointment at Public Enquiry Office. Normally, decisions on applications are made the same day and your new visa usually sent within 8-12 days.

The other application option available is:

  • £7,000 + Premium fee + application fee – Super Premium Service: This is a very expensive service where you Home Office will arrange collection of your application, biometrics and documents and a decision is made on your application within 24 hours. Up to 4 main applicants can apply at the same time using this service.

Immigration Health Surcharge

All students making a Tier 4 visa application will need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge in addition to the visa application fee. For students making a Tier 4 (Entry Clearance) application outside the UK, this will apply if they intending to study a course lasting 6 months or longer. Tier 4 dependants will also be required to pay the mandatory surcharge.

If you are refused a visa, the surcharge will automatically be refunded.. For further details of the Immigration Health Surcharge, please refer to the UK Council for Internationals Student Affairs (UKCISA) webpage.

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa extension in the UK if:

  • You are currently studying UK or have an unconditional offer of a place on a programme, and
  • You have been issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies for any universities/colleges and
  • You currently hold a valid Tier 4 visa or one of the other types of visa which allows you to switch to Tier 4 in the UK.

You must make your application in the UK before your current visa expires, if you submit your Tier 4 application more than 28 days after your visa has expired then your application will automatically be refused by the Home Office.

It is always best to do make your application ideally around 3 months before your visa expires.

You can apply for an extension in the UK under Tier 4 if you are:

  • currently studying and continuing on the course that you have already started (this does not include students who are on a break) or
  • moving on to a new course which starts no later than 28 days after your visa expires

If you do not meet these rules, then you must return to your home country and you may be able to make an application from there.

If your application is successful then you will be granted a visa to stay and further study here in the UK for the duration of your course which thereafter you will have to leave unless you can switch to another visa category.

With over 30 years combined experience Optimus Law comes highly recommended in Immigration services. Living and studying in a different country can be an awful lot to handle and which many find stressful. At Optimus Law, we want to help you remove any worries surrounding your visa. We achieve this by breaking down your application into small steps that are easy to follow and easy to manage. We also provide after care services to ensure your settling in the UK and can help facilitate your needs during and after your studies should you wish t stay here in the UK.

What Our Clients say

“Robina is a very reliable, helpful and experienced immigration solicitor in our area. I had a successful appeal with my Tier 1 applications with the help from Robina.”
UK Visas
Robina Shah