UK Child Student Visa

If you wish to enrol your child (a non-EEA member or a non-Swiss) between the ages of 4 and 17 in an independent school in the UK, then they have to apply for the Tier 4 (Child) Student visa.

To be eligible under this visa category, your child needs to have been offered a place at an independent school with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor. In addition, your child needs to have access to sufficient funds to pay for the course of study and support him or herself. If you are a person between the ages of 16 and 17, you can also apply for The Tier 4 (General) Student visa.

If your child is under the age of 12 and is on the Tier 4 visa, you can also apply for a Parent of Tier 4 child visa. To do so, you need to have access to sufficient funds to support yourself and meet travel cost, you need to have a second home outside the UK, and you need to plan to leave the UK at the end of your visit. As a parent on a Parent of Tier 4 Child visa, you can only extend your leave 12 months at a time.


Client Experience

Our clients give us a 5-star rating on

Overall rating is 9.8 out of 10.0 based on 300+ reviews from more than 351 clients

college group

The Child Student Visa application process is long and complicated. At Optimus Law, we will help you through the entire application, and ensure your child has the best chance. We will

  • Provide you with a letter of representation to accompany your application.
  • Ensure all applications and needed supplementary documents are properly submitted in a timely manner.
  • Communicate with both your preferred independent school and the Home Office during the duration of the application.
  • Ensure your child is eligible for the Child Student visa.
Get in touch and book a consultation.


Should my child apply for a Tier 4 (Child) Study Visa?

Since there are several study visas available, choosing the right one is crucial. If your child is below the age of 16, then this is the right visa category to apply under. If the child is 17 years or over, the child can apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa. Children between the ages of 16 and 17 can apply for either a Tier 4 (General) Student visa or a Tier 4 (Child) Study Visa.

Which schools can my child attend under the Tier 4 (Child) Study Visa category?

The child can attend a course at an independent school with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor. The parent or guardian need to provide written consent. Documentation of identification and proof of sufficient funds to finance the course of study and cover your child’s living expenses have to be submitted.

How We Can Help

The UK has one of the best education systems in Europe and the world. Because of this, parents around the world want to enrol their children in the best British schools. At Optimus Law, we understand the need of quality education, and it is our aim to ensure your child gains access to it.

At Optimus Law, we will discuss the options available to your child, ensuring that your child applies under the right visa category. If you are unsure about your child’s eligibility, we are available to help you and your child make the right decision. We will also arrange for sponsorships for your child and prepare all needed documents to go with the application. We are always available to provide legal counsel every step of the way, ensuring applications are filled correctly, and all supplementary documents are submitted, punctiliously. We will liaise with the Home Office for the entire duration of your case. Regardless of the final decision, we will advise you on the best course of action.

Contact Us For A Free Assessment

It doesnt cost anything to ask. Let us know by filling out the form below.

  • We will never share your information with any third party

Visa Wizard

Speak to an expert for your free no
obligation visa assessment.

Get Quick Free Assessment